Sunday, January 9, 2011

How does 4 years seem like a life time??

4 years ago today - I was "officially" by law Hunter's mom! :) The day never changed anything - he had been calling me mom for 3 years prior to that - it seems like he's always been in my life.  I had been with him when he graduated pre-school, started kindergarten, had his tonsils out, played tee-ball, I was there when he was sick, when he tried things for the first time, when he learned to read, count, write his name... Those were the things that made me Hunter's mommy - not my name on his birth certificate.

I've never thought of Hunter as my "step" child - there is nothing I wouldn't do for him.  I love him with the same love that I have for Keegan and Triniti.  Hunter has always held this special place in my heart from the very first day I met him - to the day he told me he loved me (which was before Matt told me he loved me) -  till the day he asked me if he could call me mommy - till today. I couldn't imagine our lives without him here with us everyday. I might not have carried him for nine months but I couldn't love him any more if I had - he is my child - my baby (even if he's 12)!! :)

Today we celebrate the "official" day that I became his mom! The real celebration takes place this weekend - we're going to play in the snow this weekend!! :) It will be fun celebrating our family and the sometimes difficult roads that we had to take to get here - but we're here together and that's all that matters!


Hunter when I first met him... 
 Hunter declaring his adoption official!
 An "official" family - after years of lots of hard roads to get there!
Hunter today - a child with two parents that love him more then he will ever know.  Parents that put him first in their lives and have given him a fighting chance to be whatever he wants in this world - he's got a    BRIGHT future ahead of him! 

1 comment:

  1. Cue the ugly cry...beautifully written and so precious the love you two have always had. I can still remember, little Hunter (still can't believe he's 12) and the way he looked up at you, with that adoring look in his eye. And the return love you have always had for him. It was precious to see it then and still is now.

    Miss you all so very much!

    ReplyDelete